Rémy Martin is a cognac (a brandy from the Cognac region of France) and champagne cognac (a brandy from the tiny Champagne Cognac region of France) originally produced by Rémy Martin, a French winemaker, who founded the company in 1724. It is now owned by Rémy Cointreau, a company founded in 1991.
Rémy Martin is a Fine Champagne Cognac, meaning that the eaux-de-vie selected come from the two best growth areas of the Cognac region, the Grande Champagne and the Petite Champagne (the word "Champagne" defines a type of soil that is extremely chalky). The eaux-de-vie from these crus, in the heart of the Cognac region, have the greatest ageing potential and are therefore treasured more.
Fine Champagne Cognac is the only blend of two crus protected by the Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC, the French law of 1938), which officially recognises the complementary qualities of Grande Champagne & Petite Champagne to provide a unique quality of cognac.
In 1965, the first contracts between winegrowers and distillers from Grande Champagne & Petite Champagne were signed with Rémy Martin, forming the Alliance Fine Champagne.
Only 17% of the cognac shipped from the region is legally recognized as Fine Champagne Cognac (Source: BNIC shipments 2004) and 80% of all Fine Champagne Cognac shipped from the region is produced by Rémy Martin.
The Rémy Martin brand is know for its distinctive centaur logo which is displayed on its wines. This is such that in China, Rémy Martin wine is almost always called "man-headed horse" (人头马) instead of the actual "Rémy Martin" name.
- Rémy Martin VS
- Rémy Martin Club
- Rémy Martin VSOP
- Rémy Martin Extra
- Rémy Martin XO Excellence
- Rémy Martin XO Spécial
- Rémy Martin VS Grand Cru
- Rémy Martin VSOP Premier Cru
- Rémy Martin XO Premier Cru
- Rémy Martin 1989
- Rémy Martin 1988 Vintage Premier Cru
- Rémy Martin 1738 Accord Royal
- Rémy Martin 1898
- Rémy Martin XO Centaure
- Rémy Martin Coeur de Cognac
- Louis XIII de Rémy Martin
- Louis XIII Black Pearl
- Rémy Silver
- Rémy Red
- In the track "Not Tonight" by Lil' Kim, she mentions being "pissy drunk off the Henny and Remy", referring to Hennessy and Remy Martin brands of Cognac.
- In the film Cocktail the character Doug (Bryan Brown) shares a bottle of Louis XIII, with Brian (Tom Cruise) as he contemplates his financial ruin.
- In I'll Sleep when I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, Warren Zevon includes a passage in his diary about celebrating New Years Day with Remy Martin
- Dr. Dre references the cognac in the song Let Me Ride from the album The Chronic. ("But before I hit the dope spot / I gotta get the chronic, the Remy Martin and my soda pop.")
- Eminem references the cognac in the song Marshall Mathers from the album the Marshall Mathers LP.
- Ja Rule references the cognac in the song I Cry from the album Rule 3:36. ("I can't even cop a drink at the bar / Get me some bottles of that Remy Martin / Lets get the party started right here")
- Del Boy in the Only Fools and Horses' episode, Christmas Crackers, references the cognac with, "Oi, John. Give us a Remy Martin and cream soda with lots of ice."
- Kurupt references the cognac in the song It's Over from the album Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessey. ("K-U-R-U-P-T,any, you just bring my bottle of Remy.")
- Tech N9ne, along with guest performers Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun, references the cognac in the song F*** 'em Girl from the album Everready (The Religion). ("...after you had you a baby/ he wanna start/ arguing his excuse to start sipping the Remy Martin...")